In the March 20th Case of bánh tráng-ing anything, would the jury please now direct their attention to Exhibit 2: Roast Duck with pickled fennel, savory plum sauce and golden shallots a la Bánh Tráng.
This was an awesome way to use up some left over roast duck and broken rice. For detailed instructions and tutorial on wrapping with rice paper please visit this blog post.
Suggested Ideas for Ingredients:
- Roast duck
- Herbs (e.g. basil, mint, cilantro)
- Bean sprouts
- Apple or pineapples
- Noodles or left over rice (if you want, hubby calls it “filler”)
- Bánh tráng (rice paper wrappers)
- Nuc mum (fish sauce for dipping), chili pepper sauce
- Fried “golden” Shallots (not necessary but oh so tasty and special, recipe here)
- Savory Plum Sauce (here is a recipe for canning your own) or Plum Butter (recipe I tried out this past summer – TY!)
- Pickled Fennel (recipe for canning)
- Slice and warm up duck and rice
- Pan fried up the shallots (slice thin, heat up some oil, add and stir stir until browned up. Put on paper towel to remove some oil. Enjoy!) – we sort of burnt ours but still tasty! More details here.
- Open jars of your savory plum sauce or plum butter and pickled fennel (you could pickle them on the spot too or use another pickled treat)
- Roll it up!
This turned out pretty tasty so you can bet that we will buy roast duck in Chinatown JUST for this recipe.