The Smoking Gun rides again! This time to impart its delicate smoky wisdom upon some roasted maple syrup and Cajun spiced mixed nuts (walnuts and pecans to be exact). Roasting nuts is easy and sky’s the limit for flavor. I happens to have ajar of organic Cajun spices and maple syrup asking to be used for a party; along with nuts (victims of the Costco effect).
The smoke is delicate and not chemically. The resulting flavor is balanced salty sweet. If you don’t have a cold smoker, never fear- they are just as tasty of a treat without it. Now make some, eat some and give some as a hostess or holiday gift.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (real as you can find)
- 3 tsp cajun seasoning ( I used the Safeway organic a brand)
- 1 T hot water
- 5-6 cups raw nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with oil.
- Mix syrup,water and seasoning in a large glass bowl
- Add the nuts, whatever kind you have: almonds, pecans, walnuts, peanuts or even pistachios
- Toss to coat really well
- Spread out in a single layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Do not skip this step unless you want to toss your pan when done.
- Roast for about 30 minutes. Remove from pan pretty quick so they don’t get too stuck.
- If cold smoking, place roasted nuts in a plastic bag, fire up the smoking gun with your favorite ‘fuel’, fill the bag with smoke, tie it shut and wait! 30 minutes or longer.
Other Nutty Ideas
Other Smoked items