Bienvenidos a Mi Mundo! My name is Megan and I’m a problem solving, decision making, left brain leader by day, simmering right brain artist with crafting ideas waiting to spill over at almost all other times and a lover making and eating good food. At home I am mother of 6 hens ( Swin aka Nasty A**, Harriet, Lightening, Thunder, Marigold and Bobbin . RIP: Buffy, Goldie, Roxie, Lilihen, Amelia Earhart,Bella, Touille, Betsy Ross, Scuttle and Frankie) and for those that might recall, I am taking a sabatical on my backyard apiary. I am also a proud fierce mama of two, with who I am absolutely smitten. My husband is wonderful, supportive and getting in with lingo, periodically dropping terms like ‘fat quarters’. He fears no trip to a craft store and makes urgent and immediate stops at quilt and antique stores – no questions asked. Sometimes I can even get him to do some of the mundane tasks like fluffing tissue poms. 🙂
Every day I aim to learn something new, which invariably happens. My goal of blogging is a three legged stool. 1) learn and explore 2) entertain and (maybe) enlighten and 3) experiment within this series of tubes, called the internets. Obviously, it is totally voluntary for all parties, but I hope people enjoy sharing in aliquots of my life . Staying true to myself – I plan to focus on my hobbies (crafting, quilting, reading, beekeeping, causal gardening), my family, adoption and of course, the random stuff that happens to me. Topic potluck, but that is who I am. Have something you would like to hear from me? Speak up.
About Book Reviews:
Many have ‘Reach & Read’ in the title, although I slowly moved away from this (#life) but want to memorialize here where it came from. Reach & Reach = Childhood mnemonic poster for spelling libRaRy – Oh, how I long to find this poster. My reviews aren’t meant to be a rehash of all the other book reviews out there. I promise to not give away the end or warn you if I will, maybe share the hook and include a rambling [Think: wine tasting notes, adage, deep thoughts]. At this point, many of these are books of my own selection, but a few have sent to me by publishers or sellers and this is noted in the review. See below for more details.
Review Policy – UPDATED August 5, 2020
- I am happy to accept books for review consideration on Odds and Hens. Please note the following bullet points as contacting me assumes you have read and agree to these terms:
- I enjoy hearing from publishers and authors about books, but unfortunately, I cannot make guarantees about reviews. This blog is a hobby, not a job (right now). I will try to respond to every request though. Please include in the body of the email the following information: book’s title, author, a summary, the publisher, and the release date. While I am certainly able to accept attachments, I prefer all the above information in the email up front to be consumed at a quick glance.
- I don’t do a lot of blog tours due to time constraints and would hate to be a rate limiting step. I do not schedule review dates but respect your requests regarding release if book is pre-released. However, I do not review manuscripts. I just don’t have time.
- I will participate in give-aways when coordinated with the publisher
- I am on goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest (and snapchat, and instagram and ….) If I bought the book on Amazon or the like, I might post a review there, otherwise not.
- I may highlight potentially sensitive (maybe about family, hot topics, language) or offensive elements to my readers at the end of a review in a separate section. These elements do not affect how I personally may feel about a book and are completely separate from my recommendations.
- My blog, even though it is a hobby, is not your advertising range space. If you ask and I agree to a guest post, I expect that it will be handled as something exclusive, not reprinted elsewhere.
- Disclosure: When the source of a book in my reviews says anything besides “Personal Copy” or “Library” or nothing (because it was an older book review post (pre-2016), it means I was provided with a free book for review. Additionally, the links in some of my posts are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I receive a small amount of commission.What I Like:Just like my blog, I have a lot of book interests and am open to reading things that might seem out of my wheelhouse. In general, I enjoy reading young children baby- 8/10 years of age books (fiction, nonfiction, activities, photo) craft, cooking/food, gardening, parenting, health and wellness, leadership/business, biographies and some fiction. I am not a huuuuuge fan of fantasy, sci-fi, super dark books, thriller, sports, end of the world, and am selective about historical books.You can email me at email@example.com. Thanks for your time and interest!
Other Media – Items
I will also accept products, music, movies, and TV shows for review. Again, accepting one of these items does not guarantee a review. I really like crafts, education toys (STEM please!) and kitchen gadgets!
For my Readers
While I receive many books and/or products for review, I will always let you know where I got the book and give you my honest opinion regardless of the source. It will be very clear if the review is native (me just doing my thing) or more prompted (me doing my thing with a book or product someone sent me).
Statements I use:
I received a electronic copy of this book to review but I was not financially compensated, nor required to say something positive, in any way. The opinions expressed are my own and are based on my experience and observations while reading this book.
Affiliate Disclaimers, Privacy etc
Some of the sections on this Site may engage in affiliate marketing, which is done by embedding tracking links into the Site. Some of the links that I post on my site are “affiliate links.” If you click on a link for an affiliate partnership, a cookie will be placed on your browser to track any sales for purposes of commissions. Also, clicking on my links and then ultimately purchasing the items, means I will receive a tiny but useful commission and it doesn’t affect the price you pay.
The site/we/I are not responsible for the quality, accuracy, timeliness, reliability or any other aspect of these products and services. In addition, a merchant will likely have privacy and data collection practices that are different from ours. If you make a purchase from a merchant on their site or on a site that I have posted a link to, the information obtained during your visit to that merchant’s online store or site, and the information that you give as part of the transaction, such as your name, e-mail address, street address, telephone number, and credit card number, may be collected the merchant and this site. For more information regarding a merchant, its online store, its privacy policies, and/or any additional terms and conditions that may apply, visit that merchant’s website and click on its information links or contact the merchant directly.
The Site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. As part of this Amazon Associates program, the Site will post customized links, provided by Amazon, to track the referrals to their website. This program utilizes cookies to track visits for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.
*Disclosed in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
EMBEDDED CONTENT FROM OTHER SITES
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
- Want to join me on Sovrn // Commerce? So far so good and here is my referral link to sign up
Privacy /Data Protection Law Disclosures
This Site is also affiliated with Sovrn // Commerce for the purposes of placing advertising and affiliate links on the Site. Sovrn // Commerce uses standard and widely-available tools for the placement and serving of ads, including those provided by Google, Inc. and its affiliates. We may periodically publish interest-based advertisements on the Site; that is, ads that are tailored to reflect your interests. To help understand your interests, our other advertising partners will track your behaviour on our website and on other websites across the Internet using cookies.
I like to bake, eat and blog about cookies. The site also utilizes cookies. A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies may be either “persistent” cookies or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed. Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
By using this Site, you consent to the use of such cookies and the sharing of data captured by such cookies. You can view, delete or add interest categories associated with your browser by visiting: https://adssettings.google.com.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can, however, obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies by referring to the instructions provided by your browser of choice.
It’s important to be aware that blocking cookies may have a negative impact on the functions of many websites. Some features of the Site may cease to be available to you.
- Learn about Sovrn//Commerce privacy and opt out options here