Inspired by my continued soup successes and the food in my kitchen, I cooked up a quick recipe for healthy kale potato soup. After topping it with homemade yogurt and some truffle oil, it was still pretty darn healthy, full of flavor and a nice smooth mouth feel.
Simply Health Kale Potato Soup Recipe
Ingredients – makes about 5 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound potatoes, chopped and peeled (parsnips would work too)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 cups chopped kales leaves (about ¼ lb but this is flexible)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt (depends on taste at end)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Topping ideas: yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche, truffle oil, olive oil, cracked pepper, crab, herbs
- Prep the potatoes, onion, kale and garlic. Peel and chop the potatoes, I chopped them pretty small so they would cook faster. I also used fingerling potatoes because that is what I had handy, but baby red potatoes or just about any other kind would be fine. Parsnips would work too. For the kale, I cut off the really course bottom stems.
- Heat a large sauce or fry pan over medium heat. Add the butter, onion, potatoes and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, about 5, until just beginning to brown.
- Add about 1 cup of chicken broth, keep cooking for another few minutes.
- Add the chopped kale to the pan and stir around, continuing to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the garam masala, or whatever other spice you might want to add. Pour in the rest of the broth.
- Cook at a boil for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes begin to soften and kale is wilted. Test the potatoes with a fork
- Add about a cup of mixture in the sauce pan to the blender. Starting with just easier on my pour little blender. Blend on high until pureed. Continue to add ingredents, about a cup at a time, blending inbetween, until you have all the contents from the pan in the blender. Once it is pretty well blended, stop and taste the soup. Here is when you will add the salt. I would add 1 tsp first, blend for another minute or two, then taste again. If it needs more to your liking, add some more and blend again.
- Once you have blended it nice and smooth, to a texture that suits you, it is all ready to serve.
- Serve with a variety of toppings, maybe with some bread or crackers. Enjoy!
I would love to hear about your go to kale recipes!