Buntings are an easy and versatile way to decorate. There are so many great kits and pre-cut products out there. This version using poster board and dot paint markers. I did this as a shower activity but had some left over bunting pieces and we did more painting together. My toddler-guy likes the dot markers (and making a mess and tasking the paint) so this was pretty fun activity for all of us. I enjoy making designs too. Who doesn’t love polka dots or pretending you are an epic bingo player….
- Poster board (I used smaller 11 x 14 sheets) or paper
- hole punch
- twine or yarn
- Paint, markers, crayons etc to decorate (sky is the limit)
- Draw out a template for your bunting. It could be a triangle, or flag or more shield like. These are 5 inches wide 7 inches long at the tip or longest edge. I did two shapes the flag and more ‘shield’ like version because they used up more of the sheet paper. The template was cut out of a 12 x 12 inch piece of scrapbook paper that i have used for other buntings/garlands.
- The angles are at 2 inches from the bottom and i just measured over to a point in the middle (2.5 inches).
- Punch holes in the corners to thread the twine or yarn or string later. For the shower of note, I strung them in advance, just so it would be all ready to go at the end of party. Not a necessary sep
- Decorate!! Have fun. Everyone decorated different designs for a nursery decoration for the new baby. Later, my toddle-son and I painted more together for his room. Granted he painted the counter and his face mostly.
- I did try to decorate all on either the shiny side or more matte side of pasteboard but nothing to get to hung up about.
- This pattern and tutorial works really well with scrapbook paper too – quick party decorations! You can even just stitch the paper flags together.
- I like the ones with more white space but found my self really daubing away. Hehe.
Some other bunting ideas:
4 thoughts on “Paper Bunting Activity”
Thank you! It is fun and easy. So many options. Be sure to share a picture if you make one.