This is a family favorite and in its honor, my mom is the star chef (note her hand performing the tasks with surgical precision) and we are posting from her (guest) kitchen. The origins are unknown but the recipe is loved by many. There are some many variations, but today I share with you the basic framework.
Essential Summer Pea Salad
- 4 cups shelled peas, fresh or frozen (don’t worry about defrosting before hand – probably not canned mushy IMHO)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (choose a camp: cube or shredded)
- ¼- ½ cup ranch dressing (premade or powder mixed with yogurt or mayo), depending on how saucy you are
- ½ cup diced onions, any color
- 3 hard-boiled egg, cut into chunks
- Mix everything all together!
- No really. That’s it. Serve chilled.
Mods and Variations
- Different cheeses: goat, parma, bleu
- Curry spice
- Celery or carrots
- Fresh mint or basil
- Macaroni (cooked)
Ingredient staging “bloopers” – my mom is coachable though!
A bit too Taj Mahal
What is your family’s pea salad recipe?
Sites for inspiration and confirmation