Fresh ricotta cheese is nothing to fear. Very little investment in terms of money, time and emotion, yet pays in spades with pride, flavor and possibility! If you haven’t made your own ricotta yet, here is one approach that I recently shared. Ricotta is incredibly versatile, from plain to savory to sweet recipes. I pinned quite a few ideas on my Say Cheese! board, so check them out and share your favorites. For this strawberry tart inspired by bell’ alimento, I actually didn’t have a tart pan and used a pie plate, which worked just fine, just adjust the crust height. Next time I might use ramekins for mini versions or just acquire myself a nice proper tart.
Strawberry Honey and Lemon Ricotta Tart
- 1 cup whole milk homemade ricotta cheese
- 3 large egg yolks (save the whites for my favorite coconut macaroons)
- ¼ to 1/2 cup honey (Are you feeling more sweet or less sweet?)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 small to medium lemon – zested
- 1 pound strawberries – topped and sliced to about ¼ thick, could also mix in blueberries for a more patriotic version
- Powdered sugar to dust on top
- 1 premade pie crust, get crazy and try a chocolate one, graham cracker crust would be tasty too.
- Mint or basil for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees.
- Unroll or defrost (or however you need to get your premade crust read). Be sure to prick with a fork about 6 times, to minimize it puffing up. Bake just the crust in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool while you make the filling and slice the berries.
- Into a large mixing bowl combine the ricotta, egg yolks, honey, vanilla extract and lemon or citrus zest. Mix together with a spatula or whisk to combine.
- Pour your filling into prebaked crust.
- Bake the tart for approximately 30 minutes OR until center is just set and it begins to ever so slightly brown. If it puffs up when cooking do not worry. When you remove it from the over poke it once with a toothpick and it should settle back down.
- Place the pan on a wire cooling rack and let it cool down before placing the fruit on top.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries to your liking. Dust with powdered sugar. Maybe top with a sprig of mint or basil if you have any.
This is quite easy an easy recipe, that will fool many of your friends! Enjoy.