I love nut butter – peanuts? yes please! almond? Over here! But I recently tried making a batch of pecan and a batch of walnut. Now the big decision, is which nut butter to spread on my toast?
Nut butters are very easy to make at home and are a sure fire way for you to know EXACTLY was is in (or not) your spread. Nuts and a pinch of salt (if you like). Get a bit crazy and whirl in some honey.
What you need
- Raw or roasted nuts
- Sea salt
- Food processor, spatula
- about 10 – 15 minutes
- Maybe ear plugs if your food processor sounds like a jet engine (as does mine – since upgraded)
- Put the nuts, whole is fine, into the food processor.
- Turn on the food processor and let it whirl, swirl and pulverize away.
- You likely need to stop it every few minutes to scrape down the sides.
- Keep processing until it is the consistency you desire. Plan on about 10 minutes but watch as each nut and batch size will vary.
- Add a pinch of salt, mix it in. Taste and add more if you like.
- Scoop into containers, maybe enjoy a spoonful.
- Nut butters keep just fine in a jar at room temperature. I made sure when filling the container to push out air bubbles.
Almond butter is a staple, the walnut was good but I think next time i will roast the walnuts first as there was a slight bitterness. Pecan butter was the big surprise – it becomes spreadable really quickly (compared to almonds) and the taste has a lot more depth. After it sat for a few days some of the oil separated, which i poured off (you don’t have too), but it was still perfectly spreadable.
Here is a great almond butter treat recipe! No Bake Almond Apricot Chocolate Cookies Do you have a favorite nut butter recipe or variation? Those pistachios in my pantry better watch out….
One thought on “Nut Butters – Almond, Pecan and Walnut! Oh My!”