So many adjectives! Cheesy, brunch-y fresh, easy, versatile, quick, unpretentious egg bake recipe is a great way to incorporate the vegetable bounty of your garden, CSA or grocery store. This time of year many are looking for ways to use up squash, this recipe will tackle at least four to five cups of that prolific gourd, along with tomatoes, onions etc. Simply aim for about 8 cups of chopped veggies (little less if using leafy greens). This recipe also halves easily.
- 2 tubes crescent roll dough
- 12 ounce shredded mozzarella cheese (amount, type of cheese is flexible)
- 8 eggs
- 8 cups chopped veggies: zucchini, tomatoes, squash, mushrooms etc
- 1 cup chopped onion or shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Herbs de Provence (or other favorite herb combinations)
- Butter or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish and line with crescent roll dough, along the bottoms and sides. I put my dough ‘on point’ but this isn’t required.
- In a large saute pan, heat butter or oil (or both!) and saute the chopped onions for a few minutes to start to soften/brown. Then add the rest of chopped veggies. The goal is to soften but not cook to point of mush/soggy.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat with a fork, the eggs, herbs, salt and cracked pepper.
- Mix in the sauteed veggies, adding a couple scoops at a time, so easier to mix. You can also put a couple cups of cooked veggies on top of the prepared dough and mix the remaining in the whisked eggs.
- Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour egg/veggie/cheese mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or so until top starts to brown and a toothpick inserted comes out pretty clean.
Thanks to Lemon Tree Dwelling for crescent roll dough idea!
Other Brunch-ish Recipes
- Roasted Pepper and Chard Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
- Spiced Pear Maple Bread Pudding Recipe
- Blueberry and Cointreau Cream Brunch Stack Cake – IKEA recipe hack
- Of Hashtags & Hashbrowns – Pommes de Terre Dauphinoise (Potatoes Baked w/Cheese) & Onion Biscuit Squares
- Nothin’ but the oooey gooey . . . Marvelous Cinnamon Rolls
- Zucchini: Those who can’t grow, give recipes