Lemony Coconut Macaroons – Adapted from Real Simple May 2009
Ingredients (Makes approx. 24)
14 ounce package of sweetened shredded coconut (I have used unsweetened before too, and it was just fine)
Or 7 ounce if you are like me and bought the smaller size, just halve everything else. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy… J
- ¾ cup sugar (consider if your coconut is sweetened or not, but don’t go overboard)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and some lemon juice (don’t get hung up on volume, maybe a tablespoon or so –its all bonus flavor)
- You can also use flavor extracts such as lemon, orange or almond, a little dab’ll do ya with these
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
Other items I fancy: sometimes I will break up a dark chocolate bar (of any respectable flavor) and tuck into the middle or set underneath the coconut mixture before baking, candied orange, lemon slices or nuts (almonds, pecans etc)
- Heat oven to 325 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine all the ingredients, adding egg whites last and mix well.
- Drop mounds of the coconut mixture onto baking sheet, about 1-2T.
Bake 20-25 minutes, until the coconut begins to brown.
- IMHO, the carmelization takes this from great to bestest
- When down baking, cool on a wire rack, completely before storing. Be sure to eat one warm though….
5 thoughts on “Lemony Coconut Macaroons – A remedy for pesky extra egg whites”
Magnificent items from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff prior to and you are just
extremely great. I actually like what you have received here, certainly like what you’re
stating and the way in which through which you are saying
it. You are making it enjoyable and you still
take care of to stay it sensible. I can’t wait to learn far more from you.
This is really a terrific site.
I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the
layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme
or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see
a great blog like this one today.