Lemony Coconut Macaroons – Adapted from Real Simple May 2009
Ingredients (Makes approx. 24)
14 ounce package of sweetened shredded coconut (I have used unsweetened before too, and it was just fine)
Or 7 ounce if you are like me and bought the smaller size, just halve everything else. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy… J
- ¾ cup sugar (consider if your coconut is sweetened or not, but don’t go overboard)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and some lemon juice (don’t get hung up on volume, maybe a tablespoon or so –its all bonus flavor)
- You can also use flavor extracts such as lemon, orange or almond, a little dab’ll do ya with these
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
Other items I fancy: sometimes I will break up a dark chocolate bar (of any respectable flavor) and tuck into the middle or set underneath the coconut mixture before baking, candied orange, lemon slices or nuts (almonds, pecans etc)
- Heat oven to 325 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine all the ingredients, adding egg whites last and mix well.
- Drop mounds of the coconut mixture onto baking sheet, about 1-2T.
Bake 20-25 minutes, until the coconut begins to brown.
- IMHO, the carmelization takes this from great to bestest
- When down baking, cool on a wire rack, completely before storing. Be sure to eat one warm though….