A few years ago, I started making a homemade ornaments for family. This year’s ornament is a yarn wrapped tree. It is simple but still festive and so many ways to personalize (sports theme, favorite colors). Better yet it is a quick activity to do with kids of most ages. Use your imagination and yarn scraps for this simple craft. The 2017 collection features Seahawks, 49ers and Broncos color themes, more traditional green and peaceful blue and white tree ornament
- Yarn or string scraps
- Glitter glue (Elmers worked great!) or fabric paint
- Hot glue gun (works faster than craft glue)
- Cardboard (not too thick, not too thin)
- Other embellishments: bells, pom poms, sequins, beads, ribbons
- Trace and cut your tree shape. Use a variety of triangles. The more narrow the tree the trickier to wrap the yarn (might need to tack with glue along the way). Wider larger trees were easier for my little guy.
- At the end of yarn, make a loop for the hanger and place a dab of hot glue at top of tree and affix the loop. No need to cut the yarn, you can keep wrapping from the long end if you like.
- Wrap the yarn all around! Feel to completely cover the cardboard or let some be exposed. If you want to switch yarn colors and/or finish this step, secure the end with a dab of hot glue, maybe hiding under another yarn strand. Variegated yarn or solid color all make for lovely happy trees.
- Decorate! Little dollops of glitter glue, bells etc. I only decorated one side but you could certainly do both with drying in between.
My almost three year old toddler ‘helped’ but honestly, he found just messing with yarn more fun. It was a little tricky for him to wrap on smaller more ‘precisely’ cut trees. However, with a bigger/wider tree shape he did practice wrapping yarn and definitely got into the glitter glue application. Rather than finishing his by securing the final end of yarn, i have left it around for him to play with (and he has) – wrapping and un-wrapping.
If you make a yarn tree, share a photo!
2 thoughts on “Yarn Christmas Tree Ornament- Holiday Kid Crafting”