A few years ago, I started making a homemade ornaments for family. This year’s ornament is a (be)dazzling canning lid ornament. It is the perfect way to reuse the inner lids (that you can reseal) and if you are anything like me, you might seems always have more of the canning rings than jars. Hmm… if not they are easy to buy as well. Solid or single piece canning or regular jar lids work great too and can be a nice up-cycle option. You can keep the ornaments simple or really put a lot of effort into creating designs using combinations and placement of sequins, glitter, beads etc. They almost feel a little bit like a diorama. I was really pleased with the result, especially since glitter is the gift that keeps on giving. Kids of most ages can join in this activity. It might be easiest spread out over two sessions so that the glitter/glue on the backside can dry before working on the front side.
- Canning lids and rings
- Tacky craft glue
- Paint brush
- Glitter, sequins, beads (more the merrier!!!!)
- Thin wire or fishing line
- Needle nose pliers (if using wire)
- Other optional embellishments: bells, pom poms, sequins, beads, ribbon, Lego Mini-Figs
- If using two piece lids, start by gluing the lid to the ring. Run a line of glue around the inside of the ring and insert the lid.
- Flip over the ring-lid, using a paint brush cover the exposed part of the inserted lid with glue and cover with glitter and or sequins. this is the ‘back’. I suggest letting it dry for a bit at this point.
- On the ‘inside’ of the ring-lid, squirt in glue and brush it all around the lid, wherever you want glitter or sequins to adhere. On some of the ornaments I did it edge to edge, on others I wanted it to look like the glitter ‘pooled’ or was just more around bottom. apply the glue liberally so the sequins have something to stick in to and it gives a little depth. This will also ensure that the underside of the flat lid is completely covered. I had a few rings with rust on them, I made sure to pain those areas with glue so the glitter would hide.
- Pour or sprinkle in sequins. Arrange them if you like and then pour in glitter to fill in all around them. this will make sure all the glue is covered.
- You can gently tap out any excess on to a paper plate or piece of paper to re-use or just wait till it dries and then tap it out.
- For some of the ornaments I wanted to glue certain sequins an beads along the edge to add dimension. I did this as a third step.
- Once all dry, tap out all the glitter etc again. You can keep reusing!
- Cut a long piece of wire or fishing line, wrap it around the outside of the ring, crossing it a few times at the top and then creating a loop with the ends. This will allow you to use an ornament hanger etc. you could also tie ribbon around the outside to make a loop or just glue on an ornament hanger.
- Enjoy! please share photos is you make these.
They make excellent last minute gifts or early school dismally day activities. Happy Holidays!
Ornament Tutorials and Ideas